- Stand up tall with your legs together and the feet parallel.
- Step the left leg back about 3ft and turn in the left heel so the toes are angled slightly to the left. Make sure you can draw an imaginary line from the right heel to the center of the left arch to be in proper alignment.
- Spiral your hips and shoulders open to the left and extend your arms up with the biceps hugging by the ears and the palms facing towards each other.
- Inhale lengthen the spine and move your hips to the left. As you exhale reach the body to the right, keeping your legs grounded and engaged. Ideally, your torso is parallel to the floor and your arms are reaching beyond your head.
- Cultivate strength from your core muscles. Feel your tailbone moving slightly forward, navel drawing in towards the spine, lower front ribs shifting in toward the back, and the back of your neck in line with the spine.
- Grow in this pose for 5 deep breaths, inhale to bring the body up and repeat to the other side.
- "...I can't keep my back straight" Try the pose with the entire back body against a wall.
- "...It's too difficult to keep my arms by my ears" Take the right arm down the right leg (or on a block) and the left arm extended up to the ceiling, or take both hands to the hips.
The Triangle Reach will give you extra energy for all your summer activities!
See the class schedule at the right to try this pose in Stretch class all month!